Friday, December 21, 2007

Raises and Promotions

My company has just shifted from a single review by date to a yearly review by department. That means everyone in the department gets a review in the last 2 weeks of December. Any raises or promotions will take effect on February 1 with everyone moving up at the same time. Also, HR now takes a direct hand in the reviews, typing them up for the department managers and revising them before they are sent to the company head. Everyone is reviewed by their department's senior management, rather than the person they report to.

Based on all this information, you are correct in surmising that my review should have been this week, but due to vacations and signature delays and the holidays, it has been postponed again until next week.

One of my direct reports, whose review has been delayed since August, finally got her review yesterday while I was gone to Girl Scouts. She tells me she will receive a raise and a promotion. Her promotion will be to "Senior Designer," which is one position below the my current position. Her raise is quite significant; she's jumping by 10%. That means she will make more than I do!

Here's hoping I will get a raise, and knowing I won't find out until after the holidays.

No comments: