Friday, March 14, 2008

Never bank with CitiBank!

Next to Wells Fargo, I'd say Citi is the WORST banking service I've tried. They're simply out to make a buck using predatory lending practices, a variety of tricks to charge fees, and random services being added to my account, which they then charge for. I charged most of my college costs to my credit card, then (being a college student) defaulted one to many times. What with my 32% interest, I was actually (almost) relieved to find out they cancelled my account when some jerk executive lost his laptop.

Since my account has been closed, I do not have access to Citi's online computer banking, which is the only free way to make a payment to them. Not that the online banking wasn't without drawbacks, but it was better than pay-by-phone or mail. Over the phone they charge $14.95, and by mail they *always* claim the payment was late and charge a late fee, no matter what day I mailed it. Actual customer service rep, 2 years ago: "No, we don't count the date stamp. It doesn't matter when your payment is received in our office, it's when we process it. As a way to avoide the fees, we suggest mailing it on the 10th of each month. Yes, we know you don't get the bill until the 20th, yes, we know it isn't due until the 30th. Send us the check anyway."

So I'm limited to the phone service, which costs $15 each time to pay my bill (still cheaper than a $30 late payment fee). Normally this is a painful process. I call in, type in a random number 3 times because they won't even direct the call you give your 16 digit account number, which I don't have since I cut my card up. I could wait for the bill, but I probably wouldn't get it in time to make the payment. Invariably, after typing some random numbers in, I get a message saying to wait for a rep, and then there is a technical malfunction which usually results in me getting hung up on. Then I get to repeat the process! When I finally get the stupid automated phone service to connect me to customer service, the people at the other end are normally polite and friendly, even though they have to charge me $15 and can't make it possible to pay online.

Today, though, TODAY took the cake. Not only did I have the normal problems with the phone system, but, well, here's the conversation I had with the rep:

Rep: Can you tell me your account number?
me: no, I can't, I don't have the bill with me (since it comes next week), and I don't have the card anymore
Rep: can you tell me just the last 4 digits?
me: um... no.
Rep: What is your ssn?
me: ***-**-****
Rep: ok, can you tell me the password?
me: *****
Rep: Your hint is "What is blahblahblah?"
me: still *****...
Rep: ok, what would you like to do today?
me: make a $250 payment
Rep: your balance is blahblahblah
me: ok, I'd like to make a payment of $250
Reo: would you like to make a payment today?

me: OMFG! ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?!

Ok, ok, I didn't REALLY say that last line. I just thought it.

anyway:
me: um... yes
Rep: how much would you like to pay?
me: $250
Rep: I see you made a payment on March 4 for $200
me: *silence* (thinking: uh... thanks for telling me?)
Rep: so how much would you like to pay today?
me: $250
Rep: I see you've made previous payments by phone.
me: yes. I'm now making another, for $250
Rep: there's a $15 charge
me: yeah, I know
Rep: do you still want to make a payment over the phone?
me: yes. for $250 (hadn't I said it enough yet?)
Rep: ok, do you want me to include the $15 payment?
me: yes, but I'd like it on my card, please
Rep: ok, your charge will be for $265
me: no, I want to make a payment for $250
Rep: there is a $15 pay-by-phone fee
me: you can put that on the credit card (usually they ask me how I want to pay the fee)
Rep: ok, $250 is your new charge. Will there be anything else today?
me: (wtf new charge?) Can I have my confirmation number?
**click**
me: /sigh

... They've hit a new low, folks! Now I have to call back and make sure my payment went through for the right month. Take my advice and NEVER, EVER, BANK WITH CITIBANK!!!!

No comments: